Tuesday, January 31, 2012


My Collaboration With Ken Druse


Celebrated lecturer, editor, journalist, radio show host, photographer, artist, gardener and author of 18 popular books on gardening, Ken Druse has championed my work since 2005. His latest book, Natural Companions: The Garden Lover's Guide To Plant Combinations, credits me with its "Botanical Photographs." This is in reference to the 144 photographs created using a large format flatbed scanner, which along with 75 of Druse's garden photographs, illustrate his friendly informative essays on plant pairings. I consider myself very fortunate that he chose me to work with him on this project. I would like to list and acknowledge his "Above and Beyond the Call" contributions to our collaboration. 


1.) Gardening - My work has been sustained by the generosity of gardeners and farmers. I usually bring to my studio a bouquet or a basketful of floral, foliage and vegetable samples to be arranged on my large flatbed scanner for digital imaging. Ken Druse supplied 60 images worth of plants over a period of 2 years, from his garden for this project.

2.) Conceptualization - Once I collect samples from a garden, my usual approach may be to create an attractive presentation of plants that reflect the design of a garden and the personality of the gardener. The images made for Natural Companions were created to specifically serve the reader. Ken supplied lists of botanical names used for finding plants to scan through the growing season according to the themes he hoped to illustrate. When I visited gardens with those lists in hand, I often called Ken from the location to get particular plants approved before cutting. Ken even had some of his gardening friends send plants from different parts of the country to my studio for scanning. He arranged for permission to pick plants in public gardens and amazing private estates, Rocky Hills in Westchester County, New York, for example. 
Ken specified certain aspects of plant habit and height to be referenced in an image. Ground covers would appear at the base of the scan, medium sized plants in the center and the tallest above. Our intent was to help readers visualize planting schemes for their own gardens.


3.) Accommodations - I was provided a makeshift studio for my equipment in the Ken’s basement and also got a room to stay over in the house. In the morning, Ken would cut specimens and keep them cool for the day's work.

4.) Improvisation - Ken offered some very useful improvements to my usual process. For collecting fragile plants, he gave me individual water-filled stem holders (water picks). He suggested that I use recycled five-gallon buckets for efficiency. He lent me soft wire for armatures, assorted specialized tweezers, long artist brushes and a small photographer's bulb duster to blow pollen off of the scanner’s glass surface. Ken welded a wire frame (that will heretofore be referred to as "The Trapeze") for me to suspend cuttings from wires over the scanner. 
5.) Identification - I have no training in botany or horticulture, which became problematic -- particularly in the area of nomenclature. Ken rose to the challenge. He painstakingly labeled all of the plants for keys in the book. Readers will now be able to learn and refer to the proper scientific names when ordering the pictured plants. 
6.) Business Mentorship - Ken has been my trusted advisor, leading the way in the publishing of this book with patience, humor, candor and wisdom.

Plants harvested from Druse's garden for one day's work at the flatbed scanner.

5 comments:

  1. Your photos are so extra-ordinary! I can't help but wonder if your non-training in horticulture gives you a fresher set eyes in looking at things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book is BEAUTIFUL and inspiring! I stayed up way past my bedtime with it last night and can't wait to get back out in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful collaboration. I was thrilled to see the book at my local bookstore and sequestered myself in a corner of the store to pore through the vibrant photographs. My copy is coming from Amazon any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not a life's work - it is a life's bliss! What a joy!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts about my post here. Thanks, Ellen